In the world of “Digital Dialogue” Email is possibly one of the most accessible forms of media and communication for consumers and as such should be considered as a pivotal media channel. In todays marketing world where the pundits description of a consumers exposure to media is “fragmented “, it is best to consider Email as a marketing imperative not a “nice to have” or a one off throw away campaign . Email impacts brand relationships and loyalty and should be considered as a integral personalized communication channel in any marketing mix.
Its use or misuse can also effect a brand’s image or the trust a consumer can have in a brand. In a time where we consider the consumer in control of their media consumption, via a myriad of choices, Email, in the consumers mind has become the most convenient and controllable channel available. In the digital world where consumers are taking charge, Email is a tangible, flexible media they can control. Take it. Leave it. Delete it. Opt in, Opt out. Respond to it. Pass it on: Think about it , who do you know that hasn’t received an email that contains a witty piece of humour, movie, picture, or link passed on from a trusted colleague or friend who knows them well?
And when it comes to looking at consumers and consumer trends surrounding Email marketing the question of whether you want a Digital Dialogue channel with your consumer base it becomes a no brainer.
- Consumer have the power to choice with an Email e.g. do I want to receive , open, save , delete or act on an email
- 90% of consumers will use email to engage in and determine the value of a relationship with a company -JupiterResearch
- Consumers ranked email ahead of traditional media like newspapers, magazines and radio as a good way to learn about new products - American Marketing Association, Mplanet
- •68% of consumers said they were prompted to browse a Web site after receiving an email from a retailer -RightNow Technologies & Harris Interactive
- 25% of US internet users share content via Email (word-of-mouth) on a daily basis; 63% share on a weekly basis - eMarketer, Email and Word-of-Mouth
Here are some other facts to mull upon:
- 50 million people per day check email 5 times per day
- Email drives 80% on retail sales
- Email is an everyday activity for most us
- 94 % of companies use email
- Marketers worldwide are sending 5.2 million promotional Emails per month
- On average email users receive 41 messages per day – 34% receive 31 or more messages per day
- 45% of Email users say they are interested in receiving email about products and services
- 53% say they unsubscribe when the Emails are irrelevant
Source: Jupiter Research LLC 05.2007
- Email is a Highly Effective Branding Tool
- As advertisers ask for accountability, more agencies are launching email disciplines
- In 2007 email marketing generated $21.9 Billion in sales**
- Email will be a $4 Billion industry by 2011*
- Email is the 3rd Major Media Channel!
Source: Forrester Research 2008
Tags: digital dialogue, digital marketing, Digital PR, email marketing, engagement, media, media channel, word of mouth